Woking seal FA Cup progression with 3-0 win at Bury

Woking secured their place in the Second Round of the Emirates FA Cup with an outstanding 3-0 victory over League One strugglers Bury at Gigg Lane on Tuesday evening.

Regan Charles-Cook opened the scoring after half-an-hour, before second half strikes from Inih Effiong and substitute Jamie Philpot sealed a memorable evening for Anthony Lmibrick’s side.

Michael Smith scored in the opening 45 seconds of the original tie, and almost found immediate success this time around, smashing the post in the third minute.

The Bury striker then tested Nathan Baxter moments later as the Shakers looked a completely different side that were shaken up at the Laithwaite’s Community Stadium earlier this month.

Baxter was again called into action, tipping over Greg Leigh’s 18th minute header as the Cards weathered an early storm, but they got their reward against the run of play on the half-hour mark.

Photo by David Holmes – a full set can be viewed at www.wokingfc.co.uk

Effiong’s sheer strength caused problems all evening and held the ball up for Joe Ward to run on and pick out Charles-Cook to seal a perfect counter-attacking move.

Their success was short-lived as both Richard Orlu and Nathan Ralph were cautioned when Bury went in search of an equaliser, with the latter now missing the Cards’ clash with Maidenhead.

Smith then had two glorious chances in as many minutes but lacked composure for the League One strugglers, but the clinical Cards had the advantage at half-time.

The frustrations were becoming evident after the interval as Smith and Nathan Cameron were cautioned in a frantic 54th minute.

Photo by David Holmes – a full set can be viewed at www.wokingfc.co.uk

The yellow cards flowed in strange circumstances, as Chez Isaac was booked for re-entering the pitch too early before Baxter went in the book for taking a goal-kick out of his six-yard box.

Jay O’Shea and Smith had further chances, but the hosts failed to take their chances and Woking took full advantage, Effiong slamming home a second in the 71st minute as history repeated itself.

Charles-Cook came inches away from netting his side a minute later, but his shot deflected narrowly wide with Fasan beaten. Fabio Saraiva then made his comeback from an ankle-injury, whilst Jamie Philpot was also introduced.

It didn’t take long for the substitutes to combine as the latter added a third in the 86th minute, before Woking were applauded off by the Bury supporters after a memorable performance.

WOKING: Baxter; Young, Wynter, Orlu, Ralph; Jones, Isaac (Appau 89’), Ferdinand; Charles-Cook (Philpot 77’), Effiong, Ward (Saraiva 84’).


MoTM: Inih Effiong