Aldershot Town 0-4 Forest Green Rovers: Evans Sent Off As Unbeaten Home Record Ends

Fabien Robert scored his first goals of the season and Will Evans was sent off as Aldershot Town were thrashed 4-0 at home to fellow play-off hopefuls Forest Green Rovers on Tuesday evening.

Robert netted his maiden goal in the fifth minute with a low finish before Kieffer Moore doubled the visitor’s tally three minutes later.

Evans saw red for an off-the-ball incident on Rhys Murphy in the 17th minute before Robert’s deflected effort made it 4-0 to end Aldershot’s eight-game unbeaten run.

Moore added insult to injury in first-half stoppage time as Aldershot’s unbeaten record at the EBB Stadium came to an abrupt end almost a year to the day since Forest Green came to North Hampshire and won 3-0.

Aldershot manager Gary Waddock made one enforced change from the 1-0 victory at York on Saturday, with Chelsea loanee Dion Conroy coming in for the injured Liam Bellamy.

The Shots had the best home record in the National League, but that didn’t matter as Robert ceased on a loose ball from inside the penalty area to fire the hosts in front in the fifth minute.

The hosts were shell-shocked three minutes later as Murphy set up Moore, and he fired his effort past Jake Cole and into the back of the net.

Aldershot came within inches of getting a way back into the game, but Iffy Allen’s curled effort from the edge of the area smashed the crossbar and went out for a goal-kick.

That was to be closest the Shots’ came to scoring, as two minutes later, things went from bad to worse as Evans was sent his marching orders for an off-the-ball incident.

Forest Green took advantage of the man advantage, and almost went further ahead but Robert was superbly denied by Cole, as Waddock introduced Jim Kellerman to the Aldershot midfield.

The visitors boasted the best away record in the National League prior to kick-off, and that was evident as Robert made it 3-0 with a shot that deflected past Cole to put the tie to bed.

Murphy thought he netted his seventh goal of the season shortly after, but it was ruled out for offside, much to the relief of the Aldershot defence, who conceded just once at home prior to kick-off.

However, his side didn’t have to wait too long for their fourth, and Moore poked home Robert’s cross in the third minute of stoppage time to end a woeful first half for the hosts.

Meanwhile, Forest Green continued their run of scoring in every game since the opening day defeat to Barrow, netting 15 goals in the process.

Aldershot made a double change in the opening 15 minutes of the second half, as both Josh Wakefield and Charlie Walker entered the fray as the hosts searched for a way back into the game.

However, Forest Green controlled the possession in a professional second half performance as the visitors won their fifth game in six matches and kept their fourth consecutive clean sheet in the process.

Aldershot Town return to the EBB Stadium on Saturday when they hosts Solihull Moors, who thrashed Southport 4-0 on Tuesday evening.

Aldershot Town (4-2-3-1): Cole; Alexander, Reynolds, Evans, Arnold; Conroy, Gallagher; Allen (Wakefield 50’), Mensah, Fenelon (Kellerman 26’); McClure (Walker 59’).

Forest Green Rovers (4-4-2): Russell; Bennett, Clough, Pinnock, Wishart; Traore; Carter (Kelly 70’), Noble; Robert (Chemlal 59’); Moore, Murphy (Marsh-Brown 74’).

Attendance: 2,195

Words: Scott Taylor