Radio Woking Sport weekend roundup of local sporting action

A busy weekend of local sport once again over the past 48 hours, has seen plenty of exciting action and some great games.

In football in the National League, Woking made the long treck up to the North East to play Hartlepool United.

The Cards put up a battling performance against the side in second place in the league but were beaten by a Rhys Oates 80th minute goal.

Meanwhile, Aldershot and Boreham Wood shared six games in a thriller at the EBB Stadium.

Wood took the lead early on before Toby Edser levelled for the hosts. Two minutes later the visitors had restored their lead when Corey Whitely struck. A Kabongo Tshimanga penalty after 59 minutes looked to have sealed the points for Wood, only for the Shots to hit back with a brace from Josh Rees to salvage a point.

In rugby Harlequins returned back to winning ways after their narrow loss at double champions Exeter last weekend with a thumping 59-24 win over Gloucester at The Stoop on Saturday afternoon.

Quins raced into a 24-0 lead after 25 minutes with tries from Luke Northmore, Mike Brown, Cadan Murley and Danny Care who went over to secure the try bonus point. Gloucester to their credit hit back to draw level before further tries from Care, Tyrone Green, Northmore and a brace from Alex Dombrandt secured all five points. The visitors cause wasn’t helped when Matt Banahan received a red card for a high tackle late on in the game.

It was also a good day for Harlequins Ladies who thrashed Bristol Bears women 62-7 at Bristol in the Premier 15’s with Leanne Riley scoring two tries in the victory.

In Basketball, Surrey Scorchers beat second placed side Newcastle Eagles in the BBL Championship at Surrey Sports Park on Saturday.

By the half time interval Scorchers held a nine-point lead at 22-15. Eagles hit back in the third quarter to reduce the advantage to five points. With three minutes to go Eagles had put their noses in front by just a single point but some big plays from the home side including a big three point shot from Tony Hicks was enough to get Scorchers over the line.

And finally in Netball, Surrey Storm travelled to Wakefield to face high flying Team Bath in the Vitality Netball Superleague on Sunday afternoon.

Team Bath made it six wins in a row after beating Surrey Storm 50-30. Storm were never in front at anytime in the game and at one stange found themselves 15 points down.

At the interval Storm trailed by 24-16 with Mikki Austin moving to centre at the start of the third quarter and Nicole Humphreys coming on at centre.

Zimbabwean Captain Kwanga came on for the final quarter, but Bath’s impressive 3rd quarter took the game away from the Surrey side, as Team Bath continued their impressive start to the season.