Radio Woking local sport weekend roundup

It’s been another busy local sporting weekend as we finish the month of February.

In Football, we have reached the quarter-final stages of the Buildbase FA Trophy. Both Woking and Aldershot had reached this stage by the weekend, but by 5 pm on Saturday just one side had progressed to the semi-finals.

Woking defeated fellow National League side Torquay United at the Laithwaite Community Stadium on Saturday. The only goal of the game fell to the Cards Jamar Loza in the first half.

It was an eventful game with league leaders Torquay missing a first half penalty and having a goal controversially ruled out in the 94th minute for offside. But Woking rode their luck and have reached the semi-finals of the competition for the first time in fifteen years.

Unfortunately, Aldershot Town couldn’t join them after going out on penalties to National League North side Hereford Town at the EBB Stadium on Saturday.

The visitors took an early lead and looked to be heading to the semi’s in normal time before Aldershot’s Josh Rees equalised deep into added time. The tie then went straight to penalties with Hereford going through 5-3.

In rugby Harlequins were looking to make it five wins in a row in the Gallagher Premiership, but narrowly missed out after going down 25-22 to Newcastle Falcons at Kingston Park on Saturday.

The home side led 14-0 at one stage before Quins hit back with a brace from Tyron Green on his first start which left the match delicately poised at 22-22 with six minutes remaining. Brett Connon knocking over a penalty with seconds to go to win the game for Falcons with Quins coming back from the north east with a losing bonus point.

Harlequins Women returned back to winning ways after completing a try bonus point win against Sale Sharks women in Manchester in the Allianz Premier 15’s with Jess Breach bagging a hat trick.

In basketball, Surrey Scorchers made the trip to Bristol to face the Flyers on Friday evening and suffered a 89-67 loss in the BBL Championship.

The hosts were always in control of the contest by winning all four quarters. Tayo Ogedengbe top scored for Scorchers with 14 points and promising youngster Cameron Hildreth scoring ten points and ten rebounds.

On Sunday Scorchers were back on the road again, this time travelling up to Cheshire to face the Phoenix with Scorchers coming away with a 76-74 win.

At the interval Scorchers held a narrow one-point lead with the game ebbing and flowing with Scorchers getting their noses in front and holding off a Phoenix fightback.

Ryan Richards was in outstanding form for Scorchers with 21 points. Tony Hicks also produced a fine contribution of 15 points.

In netball, Surrey Storm were back in action again in the Vitality Netball Superleague when they faced Wasps Netball in Wakefield on Sunday.

Storm were always up against it being nine goals down at half time 28-17. At one stage Wasps had stretched their advantage to 11. A final quarter was dominated by Wasps by winning it 10-6 to get over the line.

Youngster Sophie Kelly started for Storm and looked impressive by scoring nine goals.