Cards fall at the final hurdle in their quest to reach FA Trophy final

Woking’s hopes of reaching Wembley were dented at the semi-final stage after National League side Hereford beat their higher rivals by a single goal at Edgar Street.

Joey Butlin’s first half header was enough to see of the Cards and book their spot in the final of the competition where they will face Hornchurch of the Isthmian League.

It was a make-or-break game which would define Woking’s season as the Cards arrived at Edgar Street.

Understandably both sides looked nervous in the opening exchanges of the tie. Woking had the first chance of the game Moussa Diarra rose above everybody else inside the area but planted his header over.

The hosts had to wait until the 21st minute to carve out their first effort on goal following a cross there was Butlin to send a header into the bottom corner of the net.

The Cards responded with a dangerous free kick was knocked over the bar from Ben Gerring. The visitors continued to press with Max Kretzschmar playing a one-two with Sam Ashford, with the Crawley Town loanees shot pushed away by Brandon Hall.

The Bulls almost conceded on the half hour mark with a free kick into the area causing a mad scramble with Ashford stabbing wide.

Before the break Craig Ross produced a save from Michael Bakare’s shot as the hosts held a narrow 1-0 lead at the break.

Woking did have the ball in the back of the net after 58 minutes following Diarra’s initial header the ball fell to Ashford who tapped in, only to find the assistant referee’s flag raised for offside.

The Bulls then created the better chances of the second half with a Tom Owen-Evans flashing wide of the post. Ross was equal to another effort from Owen-Evans with the ball falling to Kyle Finn who drilled the rebound over the top.

With eight minutes remaining the Bulls had a glorious chance to ease all nerves when Butlin beat the offside trap and was through on goal. However, his heavy touch allowed Ross to collect.

Five minutes of added time was shown and with Diarra playing as an emergency striker for the last quarter of the game the ball fell to the central defender, but his finish went wide off the mark and with it Woking’s chance of taking the game to penalties.

Hereford  United  1  Woking 0

Buildbase FA Trophy semi-final Saturday 27th March 2021

By   Peter Moore